Ethics and Population Health
Ethic and Population Health Portal
Ethic & Public Health Competitions
Social Inequalities of Health & Life Course
Primary Health Care and Services
Internet and Health
|Ethics and Population Health
In recent years, the Quebec Population Health Research Network (QPHRN/RRSPQ) has noted a growing interest to the ethical issues related to policies and public health interventions by researchers of the network. In 2009, the QPHRN/RRSPQ created a new axis "Ethics and population health". This initiative aims to network researchers and social actors interested in ethical issues related to public health in order to boost research capacity and expertise in the field of ethics.
Objectives of the Axis
- Improved research capacity in the field of ethics of public health;
- To facilitate interaction and networking among the various actors involved in ethics and public health in Quebec;
- Foster the next generation of researchers in the field of public health ethics;
- Enable transfer of knowledge between researchers and local and institutional organizations as well as the general population.
Overview of activities and projects
2009-2013 Action Plan (French only)
Objective 1: Improve research capacity in the field of ethics of public health
- Funding support for the preparation of research protocols
- Organization of workshops on ethical issues related to various public health interventions
Objective 2: To facilitate interaction and networking among the various actors involved in ethics and public health in Quebec
- Establishment of a directory of researchers in ethics and public health;
- Collaborations with the National Collaborating Centre for Public Policy and Health (NCCHPP) and the Quebec Health Ministry's Committee on Ethics in Public Health to establish joint action plans;
- Collaborations with researchers and professionals from public health institutions, especially those working in health promotion in the Regional Public Health Diretions and the National Institute of Public Health;
- Annual meeting of members of the Axis researchers.
Objective 3: Promote the next generation of researchers in the field of public health ethics
- support program for students participating in international conferences
- Increased linkages with graduate students interested in ethics and public health
Objective 4: To promote knowledge transfer between research and practice settings, institutional and community as well as the general population
- Organization and participation in seminars as part of major event, such as ACFAS and the Journées annuelles de santé publique (JASP)
- Favour frequent interactions with community groups aware of the ethical issues of public health (eg AIDS, the elderly, mental health, fighting poverty) through the creation of an advisory committee (to come)
- Creation of a "citizens' forum" on the Internet to encourage public participation in ethical deliberation (to come)
- Management and coordination of a textbook from a selection of texts presented at the international conference held being organized in year 3 of the Axis' programming(to come)
- In cooperation with the editors of the Canadian Journal of Public Health, coordinating the publication of articles in one or two 'extras' on the journal "Ethics and Public Health (forthcoming)
Ethiquesantepop.ca website is an initiative of the Ethics and Public Health Axis of the Quebec Population Health Research Network (QPHRN). Our activities aim to create a network of researchers and social actors interested in ethical issues related to people's health and to stimulate research capacity and expertise in this area.
As such, the team of the axis is working to develop tools (eg, website, video) and events (eg workshops, consultations) innovations facilitating the effective transfer of knowledge between researchers, professionals, local organizations and institutional as well as population/citizens.
Ethiquesantepop.ca is a tool for actors interested in population health ethics (researchers/students/stakeholders/citizens) and is a focal point of knowledge and experience in this field. You will find resources (eg, scientific articles, reports, videos, events calendar, day public health ethics), opportunities for research support and networking, training and knowledge transfer activities (KT).
In addition to covering the classic themes of public health (prevention, protection, promotion, monitoring), the database provides access to a variety of other resources closely related to human health (eg health policy, health technologies, global health, environmental health). New resources are added daily to the database. We encourage you to send resources or publicize your activities. The team also wishes to support the EPH Axis (eg, expertise, contacts, creativity, event planning, developing tools for KT) initiatives of any person or group interested in putting to share expertise and experience favor the evolution of ethics knowledge in the field of population health. As such, the axis held a workshop on "Regards éthique sur la réduction des méfaits" as part of JASP 2011 conference. Our team has developed innovative tools for training on this topic! We invite you to examine them and use them in your own training!
This site is a technological tool that we wanted very flexible and the service of the community served; your comments and suggestions will ensure development in the image of your needs. Feel free to contact us to explore possible collaborations!