Created in 2002 and funded by the Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé (FRQS), the Quebec Population Health Research Network (QPHRN/RRSPQ) regroups Quebec researchers working in public health and population, services and health policy and health and society. Their efforts aims to identify, understand and act on social determinants of health in order to guide public health interventions, inform public policy and ultimately improve population health.
6 Strategic Groupings - 6 Networks of interdisciplinary researchers
The RRSPQ identifies six priority areas to strengthen the field of population health. The Network makes them its Strategic Groupings (SG). By focusing on methodology themes, the Network intends to complement existing research groups, which have a health populations component . The Network succeeds in reaching and mobilizing researchers from humanities and social sciences which are less implicated directly in health research.
- Information and Technologies Communication (ICT) and Health
- Social Inequalities of Health and Equity
- Population Mental Health
- Public Policy and Population Health
- Global Health
Two research capacity strengthening programs
- Strengthening intervention research capacity
Increase research capacity in population health:
- Facilitate and encourage the scientific research and interdisciplinary collaboration;
- Encourage networking between researchers from different disciplines and institutions;
- Support the relief by training programs.
To support organizational initiatives, such as:
- The creation of longitudinal databases;
- The development of partnerships to facilitate access to databases and their exploitation
Promote the sharing and use of knowledge:
- Encourage and facilitate interaction between researchers, public policy makers, managers, central and regional as well as local stakeholders.
- Aim for the highest scientific quality;
- Develop projects that focus on methodological approaches rather than specific content (eg, cancer, cardiovascular, etc.).
- Focus, through contests, research projects and transverse coherent with its guiding principles;
- Support of actions conducive to health research in Quebec populations,
- Encourage the creation of inter-institutional and multidisciplinary teams;
- Encourage partnerships;
- Enhance the expertise, experience and leadership of Quebec researchers;
- Develop infrastructure accessible to the greatest number of researchers in Quebec;
- Promote ethical and theoretical reflection;
- Develop the sake of knowledge use by decision makers, practitioners and the public;
- Focus, through its competition projects, the achievement of the objectives of the network;
- Manage the network in a transparent and open.